Monday, September 1, 2008

What did we do today? Well, it had to do with...


Peaches.


Lots and lots of peaches.


And even more peaches.


Peaches being cleaned.


Peaches being packed.


Peaches with syrup.


Peaches being canned.


And underneath this blanket in the garage...


Even more peaches!


Mom and the kids went peach-picking this morning, and were a little over-zealous. They picked so many peaches! Mom called this morning and asked if I would come over and help to can them, so I spent the day there, working on peaches. Marie, Janelle, and I peeled and chopped the peaches, and stuffed them into jars. Mom scalded the peaches so we could peel them more easily, and poured the syrup into the jars. Dad ran the canner out in the backyard.

And Zaylee and Thomas were just really cute the whole time. Thomas found a baseball-sized jawbreaker, and had a great time with it before Janelle and Marie finally took it away.



Zaylee being cheerful and cute. Actually, she and Rheanna are laughing at Thomas' yellow mouth.


After working on peaches all day, I am very tired. My back hurts. My hands and forearms are sore from the repetitive and unfamiliar movement of peeling peaches. My feet are aching. I can't get mental images of peaches out of my head. But here is the fruit of our labors of the day:


And we're going back tomorrow to do the rest of them.

7 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Well, that's just peachy! :)

I think y ou should change your background to be peaches--just for the occasion. :)

Sarah said...

Good luck! I hope you guys REALLY enjoy them!

Jeanette said...

That is a lot of peaches!
I love the jaw breaker pics. Too cute!

Michelle said...

Wow! Do I get some? *hopeful puppy eyes*

Sounds like a seriously busy day. I should send Mom some money so she can pick me a bunch of some sort of fruit. I want to make jam so bad! My canner is ignoring me because it feel abandoned...

Mrs. V. said...

Wonderful! Those will be so good in the middle of winter.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm! I think peaches are my favorite fruit! I got to can a few this last week, but I am very envious of how many peaches you guys got!! My jars are telling me I need to make peach cobbler really soon....

Kathy Whittle said...

Oh, I would LOVE some peaches right about now! I'm hoping to pick some up this next week. They're my favorite canned fruit for sure. Do you get good deals on all these peaches?