
We started out jogging, but after about 3 minutes we realized we were too out of shape to keep that up. So we just quick-walked the rest of the 3.1-mile race. With Jeff pushing Zaylee and Thomas in the double stroller, and me carrying Audrey in the mei tai, just walking the 5k was a good accomplishment. My legs are still sore. Our official finish time was 47:39.
After the Cannonball Run, there was a neighborhood Tennis Block Party being held at the tennis courts that are near our house. They had free food, and free tennis lessons for the kids. Zaylee was a bit frustrated at first because she was shy and wasn't quite sure what was expected of her. It even brought her to tears and I felt really bad for her. But then one of the volunteer instructors spent a good deal of one-on-one time with her, showing her first how to toss the ball over the net, how to hold the racket even while balancing a ball on it, and eventually how to hit a ball that was gently tossed to her. She ended up having a terrific time. I wish I had brought my camera (the batteries were dead). It would have been nice to get some pictures of her having so much fun learning about how to manipulate the tennis ball and racket.
While we were there, they handed out forms for a summer tennis program they'll be doing - it's free and the program includes classes for kids ages 4-6. I think I'd like to have Zaylee participate. She could spend time with other kids, and start learning a fun sport. Besides, no matter how important I think it is for my children to be with me (so much that I plan on homeschooling), it's good for them to spend a bit of time learning from other adults as well, things that I can't teach. Like tennis. Or any sport for that matter...
Anyway, in other news, I've completed construction on my bookcase. I don't have a picture of it yet, but it's looking really nice. All that's left now is to sand it and then finish it. I'll probably paint and distress it. Go ahead and have it start out looking worn and beaten, then I don't have to worry about it getting beat up in a house with 3 kids.
5 comments:
these things are totally way Marko wants to move to Utah! One day, one day. They don't have fun church related activities here that I have heard of! Way cool!
i mean why, not way.
That is awesome that your Stake has fun activities like that and I am so impressed that you got your whole family involved! I can just see Zaylee doing tennis :-) I think that you're right that it would be good for her to get involved with other kids her age and learning a new skill always brings self-confidence with it. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!!
I'm sure Zaylee would enjoy it. Just think, she'll come up with all sorts of ways to thunk Thomas with the racket! :-)
My nightstand is a bit wonky in places. It doesn't wobble when it stands, but some of the pieces don't join quite right. I'll probably end up distress painting mine too, just so I don't have to worry about staining over 40 or so puttied screw holes. Can't wait to see your finished photos!
Post a Comment