Thursday, February 28, 2008

Help!

Some mornings I just don't want to get up! I feel totally sleep deprived. Thomas used to sleep really well at night, but he's been sleeping for smaller periods of time at night, and it's getting annoying. Lately our typical night is as follows: I nurse him and put him to bed at 8:00. He wakes up to eat again around 10:00. And again a little after 2:00. And again around 5 or 6, if I'm lucky. Sometimes earlier than that. Then he wants to get up as soon as either Jeff or I get up and start getting ready for the day, even though Jeff usually gets up around 6:00, and this is just too early! I try to make him wait by just giving him a binky and putting him back to bed, but that doesn't always work. Is it normal for a 7 1/2 month old to be wanting to eat this much at night? Should I be feeding him more during the day? Do I try to let him cry it out at night (without waking up Zaylee, with whom he shares a room)? Give me some input, guys, I'm getting desperate!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you started solids yet? If not, that may help. You can consider feeding him a little more before bedtime, but I wouldn't feed him during the night, except as a very last resort. At his age, he doesn't need it, and as long as you keep giving it he *will* keep waking up for it. Since you don't want him waking Zaylee, maybe you can put a playpen for him elsewhere in the house until he settles back down again.

Michelle said...

Oh boy... you just may have one of those early wakers. It is normal. He is getting around a lot better now and there is so much to see and do. I would try feeding him some more during the day, it's possible he is going through a little growth spurt. It never hurts to let them cry. Oren always slept right through Nathan screaming. And the few times Oren did wake up it was really easy to get him back to sleep again. I'll call you later today and we'll problem solve. Love the picture by the way, you're gorgeous!

Rachel Holloway said...

Oh Steph! Each kid is SO different! He could be teething, growing, adjusting to new foods...you never know! :) I wish I was a help. We can't put the kids in the same room because if Kaden cries, Spencer wakes up (and the other way around) So, Spencer sleeps on the couch. :) Nice, huh?

I wish I had some stellar advice...just know that these things always work themselves out at some point--so know it won't be this way forever! :)

Sarah said...

What a bummer. I wish I had some good advice. Emma was a tough one too and I could never do the scream it out thing. At his age though, he probably shouldn't be eating that often at night. It seems like they should be eating once during the night, probably around 4 or 5. Jon was always better at getting Emma to settle down and go back to sleep because she knew he couldn't feed her. Good luck!

Esther said...

I can relate with the not being able to sleep, but I guess that is not because of a screamer wanting to eat. I am going to experience the joys of it soon though. Wow. I wish I had some advice but I don't really. I hope things get better.